Wanted to but couldn't..

Today, I decided to donate my blood, for the FIRST TIME! After breakfast, hubby and I, went to the Blood Bank at QEH. When we arrived, Mama Rosa, Uncle Tyne, Mama Erna and her son, Junior were already there. We completed our forms and waited in line for the interview. I was quite nervous but I just tell myself that there is always a first time in everything. Then, it was my turn for the interview by the phlebotomist. Form completed, checked! Blood pressure, checked! Weight, checked! Then came the copper sulfate screening test (aka "float test"). This test measures the specific gravity of the donor's blood by placing a drop into a copper sulfate solution. The solution is calibrated so that a hemoglobin concentration of in >12.5 g/dl sinks. Result: Float! The phlebotomist told me there are various reasons why my hemoglobin concentration is below 12.5 g/dl. Probably anemic, on-going diet regime, life style and so forth. Damn! I was this close to donate blood this morning. I have to wait until March and hopefully, I will be ready!

Labels:

posted @ 11:00 am,

2 Comments:

At 2 December 2007 at 15:36, Blogger carolchs said...

the first time i wanted to donate blood, it ws right after menses so i wasnt qualified to donate.

the second time, my hemoglobin was slightly low and that also did not qualify me.

the third time i went...i ws just too scared already. Hahaha.

 
At 2 December 2007 at 22:35, Blogger Just plain Sharon said...

Well, at least you have gone three times. It was a first for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Am on Facebook

Sharon A. Spiji-Tahing

Create your badge

Recent Posts

Archives

Shout To Me

My Daily Routine

Celebrity Bakers

My Inspirations

Websites Worth Visiting